Wednesday, July 28, 2010

On a mission!

"Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature."
~ Jesus (Mark 15:16)

I don't necessarily feel called to be a missionary but, considering my self to be a Christian I would need to keep up on the example I set for others by practicing what I preach right? After all, isn't every Christian supposed to be a missionary in some way or another? Even if it is just where they live? Maybe I will go into all the world, or maybe I'll just stick to the tropics or stay coastal... Whatever the choice may be I will have to put myself into the "mission field" wherever I am at by trying to be a living example of what I believe. If I didn't do that, but still called myself a Christian, wouldn't I be working backwards? So, that being said, where do I start my mission/journey/adventure? I start right here. Right now. Kingman Arizona is just as much a part of the mission field as Africa, Columbia, the Bahamas or anywhere else for that matter. It might not have the tropical climate or breathtaking ocean views I would like, though it does have some very under appreciated and equally beautiful views if you take a minute to look around. This town I live in does offer something quite amazing... Something I, along with many other self proclaimed "Christians" have been taking for granted for quite some time: ample opportunity to minister.

Something I ask myself and those I have the opportunity to speak with is: what does it mean to be a Christian? For me being a Christian means striving to be more like Christ. Since the term Christian means Christ-like, what does it take for a person to be Christlike? I could write out a whole bunch of scriptures to try and make my point seem all fancy and super educated but I found one scripture that I think narrows it down:
"And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him." 1st John 4:16

You don't even need to be a Christian to test what kind of impact a little bit of love has on someone. Look around at the state of the world today. This is definitely a very neglected and loveless generation. Love, I believe is where true healing comes into place. Have you ever walked up to a homeless person, sat down with them and had a cup of coffee or a sandwich and a nice talk with them? There is no limit to what kind of emotional healing can take effect in that person by simply taking 5-10 minutes out of your day and showing them that they are not unnoticed. That that person is important enough for you to spend time with, even if it is just a small amount of time. Who knows how that will impact them, or what they may do from that day on. I am certainly not going to be the the kind of person who limits ones potential by passing them off as some lazy person on the street that needs to get a job.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi said many many great things, but this one thing stands out to me the most. I am a Christian and I mess up a lot. I keep moving forward though, and I keep making improvements on my past mistakes. It is when you stop trying to make those adjustments in your personal life that it starts to effect those around you in a negative way. There is never going to be a Christian on this planet that stops making mistakes. It saddens me that so many people write off an entire religious group as hypocrites because a handful of them stopped trying to correct the mistakes they made and became so self absorbed that they forgot about what is most important. The people around them and showing those people love.

The friends that truly care about you are the ones that call you on your faults. It's those people that want to see you improve and become a better person. The "Political Correctness" of this world has built a society that is so self absorbed and afraid to hurt peoples feelings that it has quit growing in a positive direction. So... Me and my wife like the idea of traveling, and missionary work. The mission, for anyone and everyone including us, starts here and now. The rest will come in due time. In my last little blog I made a dream of ours known. This one states our mission. Your encouragement and support for both is very much appreciated!

CHALLENGE!!!
You know that 6 dollar cup of coffee you love from your that super popular place on the corner? That could very well give someone less fortunate the sustenance and hope they need to get through another day... Plus, look at the ingredients. That stuff is poison, and all it does is stick to your hips!

Ooh la la! Check these out! you will love them!


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful blog, and what a great outlook and mission. What a blessing!! You make me want to go in search of homeless people to sit and talk with. It challenges me to do SOMETHING! I like the links, btw.

    ReplyDelete