Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Patience is a virtue.

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.”
~ Stacey Charter

I remember a few years back... It was about a week before Christmas and I came across a package under the tree with my name on it. Now, I had been asking for a particular video game system for quite a while and this package was just the right size to get my mind going. It was heavy enough to be what I was hoping for. I wasn't about to shake it so, since my parents are not going to be home for a while, should I peek? I mean after all, if it was a pair of pants, or shoes and not a Playstation I would have been pretty disappointed. At least if I looked, I could pretend to be excited about clothes right? Well, I didn't peek. I just waited a little bit longer and sure enough, it was the Playstation I had been hoping for.

The last week of October 2010 was no different for me than that Christmas many years ago... It all started with an e-mail. You see, my wife and I came across this wonderful little boat on craigslist which just seemed to jump out at us. So I sent the owners an e-mail. They told us they would call us when they got back into town and set up a time for us to go see the boat. What?!? Out of town! That is when the exercise of patience began. I could hardly wait. Should I call these people and bug them? No... I'm an adult... Just be patient. It took every ounce of strength in me to wait for them to call. A few days later, while I was going through some paperwork, my pocket started to vibrate. It was my wife. She was screaming. They called! They called! Within a matter of hours we were arranging a time to go and see the boat. We were beyond excited.

The following Saturday, we went down to meet the sellers and check out the boat. All the excitement leading up to what was, for us, a HUGE occasion had me feeling quite strange. This is to good to be true. It has to be. I didn't want to rush through the buying process and find myself in a wreck. However, this boat was loved and well taken care of. The owners just didn't have time to use and maintain it anymore. It was all just happening so quickly and going very smooth up to this moment, the moment when I started questioning my own decision making. But that is when my wonderful wife stepped in and reassured me that this was no mistake or lapse of judgement. She wanted this boat as much, if not more than I did. A few signatures and handshakes later, we are now the proud owners of a sailboat!

"All good things come to those who wait."

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog!! To learn from one's children is a blessing and a privilege.

    I'm so thankful to be able to share in some part with you all here in the beginning. I love you both so much. I'm so happy and excited for you! The experiences and memories you make are going to be amazing!!

    God bless you, and if there's anything we can do to bless you please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I had never seen your blog before, this is pretty cool. congrats on your boat!

    -Chris

    ReplyDelete